Tuesday, September 22, 2009

re: Start of a new season

So after a lengthy summer, not without it's share of drama and another hospital visit on my behalf , the season at Kufa has started again,


with 2 shows in the small room at the kufa, something that hasn't been done in a long time

the first of which being one of my all time favourite melodic hardcore bands Misery Signals, with their best album to date in my opinion, even tho Malice... is a very close second, it was great to finally see such a quality band headlining their own tour instead of being packaged with 5 or 6 other bands and playing a much shortened set,

these days it's kinda hard to promote and make the smaller gigs really stand out and garner enough interest to make them worthwhile,

but the second day Pompeii really reminded me why we still do these kinds of shows,

People I haven't seen in ages came out specially just to see Pompeii and the local bands play, guys I haven't seen since the 'messancy/belvaux cafe' days, by that i mean the old more DIY shows in cafes

we'll definitely have more shows in the small room wherever possible, and so far the schedule for this year is looking pretty filled up in november/december,

I've been asked the question maybe I'm putting up too many 'heavy' shows, which do indeed make up 50% of the upcoming shows til next january, I try my best to basically book what I think is quality music and also that people would want to see (a lot of the bands I've booked have never played luxembourg before for example),and it just so happens a lot of it is quite heavy

I think kufa is slowly molding a certain identity within the Luxembourg landscape for mainly smaller/alternative/indie/heavy shows with the occasional big name popping in from time to time (benabar anyone?)

I might be wrong about some things, but one year in and I'm still learning a lot about this industry as well as this country

You sometimes can get disheartened but seeing people show up for some really small shows with an equally small ticket price definitely started this season off well


hope to see more of you in the coming months

No comments: